Prevent Claims As It Cools Down
Fall is here and we need to embrace it! No matter how fast summer went by, eventually the cold temperatures are going to catch up to us. During the fall months, where you can still get outside and enjoy a bit of sunshine, be sure to check the following around your home to prevent claims and be winter ready.
Tips to Prevent Claims As It Cools Down
- If you have a chimney, get it cleaned by a professional.
- Check your roof including flashing and seals around the chimney and skylights.
- Clear gutters and downspouts of debris and ensure they are securely attached to your home.
- Inspect your windows and doors to ensure caulking is intact and there are no signs of deterioration.
- Have your heating systems cleaned and inspected prior to the “heating season”.
- Replace your furnace filter in accordance to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Trim tree limbs hanging over your home. Trees can cause damage if they fall during winter storms.
- Store and secure outdoor items such as furniture and BBQ’s.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Change batteries if needed.
- If you plan to leave for the winter months, talk with your broker about your home being unoccupied or vacant.
- Prepare your roadside emergency kit for your vehicle. It should include a first aid kid, flashlight, spare batteries, -30 windshield fluid, blankets and warm clothes.
- The steps you take during this transition season to the cold months will help potentially prevent expensive damage and emergency repairs.